Friday, July 11, 2008

What are you giving to God?

We sing this song "Everything to God".

What kind of joy can make me dance? what kind of love can make me sing? what kind of grace is all i need? jesus is everything! I'm giving everything to God, i'm giving everything to God, i'm giving everything to God, He's given everything to me...everything to God, i'm giving everything to God, i'm giving everything to God, He's given everything to me...

And so sometimes i'll then take the mike around with a rousing shout "what are you giving to God?" and the answer is EVERYTHING. (repeat) with each kid getting to say into the mike EVERYTHING. it's kind of like a pep rally for the Lord now that i think of it. funny :)

anyway.... yesterday i had this in mind when i pulled up that song but before i did i thought i'd pass the mike around a little. so i shoved it in the face of the little girl closest to me who had been on stage helping with actions the song before. i said "what are you giving to God!?" and she said...

"...love".

Hm. this surprised and perplexed me. the next girl: joy. next boy: peace. then Truth. wow, the depth of these answers. amazed me. these are gifts God has given us, right, and we can actually give them back, only because He's first given them (He's given everything to me...) wow! i think this back and forth exchange of giving is one way we are loved by and show love to God. let me hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

Cat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cat said...

THE KIDS ARE GETTING IT!!!

this is really great, in my opinion. Its showing that they view their relationship with God as a relationship... not just a one sided thing!

How old were these kids that were doing a "fruit of the Spirit" exchange?

Jen said...

thanks for the encouragement! yeah, good insight about the relationship thing. i think they were 2-3rd graders.