Friday, July 10, 2009

A Safe House

This week we learned about 'safe worship'. I will let Erin tell you more about that corner turned (a new installment in the development of an establishing culture). Let me theorize on why the need for a 'safety' talk in worship...

You see our kids know how to be free. Let me back up - kids know how to be free. If left to their own devices, freedom abounds. Somewhere in the mix, adults teach them how to have restraint and boundaries and -- if we are not unrestrained in our teaching of restrain -- we can squelch very much natural-kid-freedom. I am blessed to be in a church where there are many examples of families who encourage and even foster freedom in their children as they are growing up to be... well, more of who they are. And, we live under a leadership and culture here at VOP of freedom, more and more. Yes, within that there are boundaries that bring safety, but again I will let Erin speak to that aspect. The part I know and have flourished in is the bringing back of freedom.

You see, I have had to re-learn to be free. I knew it once, but then I got all caught up in rules and expectations and trying to please people and not rock the boat and forgot how to be free, and how to be... just me. It is something I have had to re-learn. I knew it at age 5 when I rode like a mad-person down the big hill in front of my house in town alongside the neighbor boys on my Big Wheel. I lost it when I got punished for that because it scared an adult that I was too close to the street - it wasn't safe. I guess looking back objectively now, I understand her reaction and the need for that particular thing to not happen. But there was no alternative given. Hm. How do we balance -- how do we create a Safe place of Freedom?

I can not lie to you, I am the LAST person in the room to recognize when kids-being-free-in-worship is possibly creating a not-safe environment -- because my heart's passion and focus is for people to (1) discover and then (2) be free in their expression of worship. I guess that is why it is a good idea to do this stuff together, act like a body, and create that environment together.

This week I am thankful for a wide open sanctuary space to run and dance and hula hoop and jump rope and sing and play. I am thankful for musicians who show up and serve our kids - and go for it in their own wild and free worship. I am thankful for adults who notice, teach, guide, monitor and bless safe free worship. And I am thankful for a bunch of kids who know how to be kids and are gracious to be led even as they are leading us (in freedom).

No comments: