Sunday, April 6, 2008

Who?? Me? The Sequal

[POST BY ERIN HIBBEN] So indeed here I am posting about leading worship at KidsChurch. The non-musical, vaguely rhythmic on a good moment, slightly overwhelmed teacher led worship today. I drug myself into KidsChurch this morning tired and burnt, but knowing I had to be there and that God had to have my back. He had to have my back for two reasons. 1. My amazingly creative worship plans had been foiled by utter fatigue and lack of brain activity. 2. What's the point of doing it if he doesn't? So even though I had this original idea of having the kids create names of God banners while quietly listening to some soaking music, I could not get the plan coherently in my head. So instead Rachel and I worked out that we would talk talk to the kids about what it is like to hear God and then just let them listen. I gave them paper and markers in case they had a picture they felt like they wanted to draw.

So 9:30 service we soaked and immediately I could feel his presence and now I'm a mess and crying and then all the sudden the kids just kind of lunged for the markers and paper. They were so intently drawing and when asked to share one girl shared a picture of God's face in the clouds and he was giving her a thumbs up. Then another child shared a picture of an apple tree and some hills and he said God was walking towards him in the picture and telling him he loved him. Does it get any better than this?!?!?!? These kids just got loved on by God in such a personal way.

Well here comes 11:15 service, three times as many kids. We spread them out and they were so amazingly calm. Two girls got similar pictures about red flowers and a girl preaching. Kids were getting pictures of angels worshiping Jesus and Jesus coming to them and telling them how much he loves them.

The point of all of this is that we serve a LIVING GOD! All we have to do is seek him and get out of the way. God didn't stop from speaking to the kids because I was tired or burnt out. That didn't matter.

No comments: